BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 29, 2008

Doctor's Appointment.

First let me thank all of you for the comments on my blog. I love to check them and see who is reading. I appreciate it!

So today was Daisy's two week well baby check at the pediatrician. She weighed in at 6lbs 15oz, which I was initially disappointed by. I thought if we weren't back to her birth weight(7lbs 5oz) we would have to change the feeding schedule by supplementing, however, that is not the case. Our pediatrician says that she is gaining weight adequately and we can now go to feeding on demand.....we will see how this works? Even though I was exhausted feeding every three hours I kind of like having a schedule (this is the type A in me). Daisy is in the 25% for weight and just below 50% for length and head size. The doctor says she is very strong, lifting her head up already, and that she has a very powerful suck.(this has made breastfeeding easier I think). The doctor did not initially have the echo results but she couldn't hear the murmur like she could last week---yay!

As we were leaving the appointment the echo results came in. Daisy has a very small VSD (2mm) because it is so small and she is asymptomatic the hole should close on its own as she grows up, hopefully that is already happening because the doctor couldn't hear it like she could last week! Thanks to everyone for your prayers.

Daisy's umbilical cord fell off this morning, it was in the process last night and kind of freaking me out. I kept putting it back on as it was hanging halfway off. It is really not a pretty thing once it happens. Daisy does have an umbilical hernia, which I guess is really common. We just have to watch it and keep pushing on it to make sure it is soft. Who knew that every week we were going to find something else to check on.

Daisy's left leg/foot is catching up to her right. The doctor says she really can't see a significant difference, however she is still bringing her toes up to her leg so again we just need to watch it.

So, we are finished with our doctor's appointments until 8 weeks! Please pray that this week goes well as we try to adjust to a new feeding schedule, we will see who struggles the most, mom or Daisy!

No new pictures from yesterday. Nana returns tomorrow, YAY! And I have scheduled a hair appointment on Thursday. We will see how this goes--my friend Danielle scheduled one at the same time so that we could alternate with Daisy!

If anyone has any advice on breastfeeding on demand I would love it. Also, where does everyone get their baby's picture taken? I feel like I should do this? How often do you take formal pictures? We received a birth announcement from our friends who's baby was born 4 days before Daisy---I haven't even thought about a birth announcement. I am sure you moms out there have some good ideas! Thanks!

13 comments:

The Firestone's said...

yay! i'm glad everything is going well- good luck feeding, we just got this book called baby wise. we have had a couple people tell us about it, so we just started reading it a few days ago- i think its going to be pretty good. its about feeding and sleeping.
enjoy your hair app. talk to you soon!

LeslieTummel said...

Your blog makes me smile. It's so honest from a new mom, and I wish I could help or offer advice! I will, however, be filing away your tips and tricks for myself in the future. :) So, keep posting little mama! You are amazing, and your family is beautiful!

The Tierneys said...

My husband and I love babywise! However, if you are interested in feeding on demand then it might not be the book for you. We do something in between (not strictly scheduled, but more scheduled than to on demand), but the book does give some good rationale behind scheduled feedings if you're still deciding. It also has a lot of good general information about feeding/sleeping (mentioned in the comment above) that I hadn't even thought about until I had Lauren so I was happy to have the book recommended to me!

As far as pictures, we get ours taken at Sears or Penney's and I always use the coupons to make it cheap because I get them taken every month for the first year (you mentioned type A personality, well that's mine showing through!). I have several friends that do a set of "first pictures" and then go 3, 6, 9 months, and then 1 year. I know others who don't do any at all. It's totally up to you!

By the way, I was not one of the "functioning normal in 10 days" crowd - no worries! Your body has been through a big (10 month) ordeal and your life has been turned upside down and now revolves around someone who is at this point largely unpredictable. You'll reach a new normal, but it takes some time. Also keep in mind that you don't see everyone else's behind-the-scenes struggles just to get out of the house, or their tiredness once they get back! I'm sure there are some superwomen out there, but from my experience what you're describing is completely normal. Don't worry, your strength will come back eventually!

Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

Great news in this blog! SO glad to hear it all!

Feeding on demand... that is what we did. No set schedule, but there were "rules", I typically wouldn't feed Maddie more frequently than about 2.5-3 hours, unless I really really thought she was hungry earlier. You will, and already are, learning more about her cues and cries, and it will be easy for you to know when she is hungry and find the best schedule for you and her.

Pictures... if you are as much as a picture taking freak as I am... you will have TONS of pictures of sweet Daisy every single week. I love these casual, everyday pictures. But of course there needs to be some professional as well. We just did infant (6weeks maybe), then 6 months (actually turned out to be more like 7ish) and then a year. I did them again when she was about 2 1/2 ish. They are great to have, but are quite an investment. So you just need to think about how many professional pictures you actually want to display!!

Leslie said...

Mindy, I am taking notes on all of this wonderful, honest information! Sounds like you and Chris are jumping into parenthood with flexibility and a wonderful attitude. So glad that to hear all the good news about Daisy's health!

Shara said...

I love your blog, Mindy, especially all of those little details that I'm so very interested in these days. :) I'm also reading Babywise...quite a popular book on here! It's a flexible-scheduled feeding kind of book, which is more my personality. If I hear of a good book about demand feeding, I'll let you know!

Also, don't worry about the birth announcements - good night! that mom is on the ball!! Several of my friends sent theirs out around 8-10 weeks, so their baby's face was a little more plump and out of that wrinkly-newborn phase. :) You're doing fabulous, and make sure to post pics of your new 'do!

Beth Roberts said...

Hey Mindy...a friend of mine used the book The Baby Whisperer...which I think she said was more of a demand feeding type schedule. You might look into it, though we used Babywise (I must point out, though, that our baby is JUST now sleeping through the night at 10 months...not at 5 weeks like it suggests, even though we followed the book!! I WISH!!!)

I remember feeling so overwhelmed trying to leave the house the first few months...so many things to plan for, poopey blow-outs, feedings, etc. I got to be really familiar with our backseat, as that's where I'd usually nurse if we were out and about! Just remember that most every new mom goes through the exact same things you are, even if they never mention it to you!! :)

con5607 said...

Mindy, in my experience with Caleb if you nurse on demand at the beginning they will get themselves on a good schedule (about every 2-3 hours during day). Mind you, this does not mean that everytime Daisy cries you nurse her automatically. Still check to make sure that's the problem and not wet, tired, or something else.
When I stopped worrying about following a rigid schedule during the day, in a couple of weeks Caleb had formed one for us.
Feel free to ask any more questions - the best thing for a new mom to do. I'm happy to offer my (limited) experience.
Daisy is beautiful!

elizabeth finke scholes

Conrad & Cara Deese said...

it's okay to be small sometimes! i dealt with it my entire life! ahhah!! i'm so glad the murmur is unnoticed!!! wishing for the best! love the updates

Melinda said...

I found your blog via a few "friend of a friends." I am an OBU grad also but a few years behind you I think. I have a 5 mo. old daughter. After the first week we went to feeding on demand during the night and she automatically went from every 2 hrs. to 3-4 hrs. We put her in her own room at 2 mos. and she started sleeping about 10 hours or more at night, which was great and lasted until she started teething at 4 mos. So we are still trying to get back on that schedule. We have done studio pics. every month but we missed the 4 mo. ones. We have been to JCPenney, Wal-Mart, and a private photography studio for her 1 mo. ones. The 1 mo. ones were by far the best ones and it really helps to have a more relaxed environment and not the general public leering in at the picture taking. My advice would be to find someone with a private studio who specialized in newborns. Our lady is a mom and so she was flexible and allowed us to stop to nurse and didn't mind when we did the naked pics. and my baby pooped all over her drapings!
Also, our baby has an umbillical hernia also and at every dr. appt. our dr. reassures us that it is looking good and I can tell that it is not getting bigger. I worried about it at first too but our dr. says that if she is not fussing when you push on it then it is not bothering her and most of them go away by the time they are 1. Sorry for the rambling, I just get on a roll. Best wishes, she is beautiful!

Melinda said...

One last thought...I waited until after she was born to write thank yous and did a combo birth announcement/thank you note (since I ended up with about 120 to write!). I took my own picture at home and jazzed it up with all of the birth info. in Photoshop and then I uploaded it to vistaprint.com and got 250 postcards for about $30 and I wrote the thank you on the back.

Laura said...

Hi Chris and Mindy! I saw your blog on facebook and came to check it out! :) You have a precious baby girl! I found a photographer a few months ago that I really liked here in OKC. Her website is

www.jrodgersphotography.com

She is actually willing to come to your house to do newborn pictures which I absolutely loved!! We just had our second baby girl in June and I used her for the first time after hearing good things about her. I was really happy with the pictures. With Addison, our two year old, I did 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and 12 month pics. Glad to see you all are doing well!!

Laura Dale

Rachel Cobb said...

Daisy is such a cutie! My husband, Tony cobb was in glee Club with Chris at OBU. I found your blog through Dr. Sarah Smith. Anyway... congratulations! Looks like you are adjusting well. My only advice about announcements is to do it online. Shutterfly and snapfish make it really easy to upload a photo, pick a template, and they mail them to your house with envelopes. It's so easy, and cheap! you might check out various ones online. You have taken some cute photos! Good luck with everything!
www.mytobin.com