BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hungry Daisy

Sorry about the delay in posting, the past week has been difficult. Daisy has been extremely fussy and un-soothable. Chris and I felt like she was constantly hungry and wanting to eat--we just weren't sure what was going on. So Thursday of last week we took her by and weighed her and sure enough she had not gained any weight in the past 10 days, so we called our pediatrician. We went to the office for a weight check and on that scale she has lost 3 oz in the last 10 days. So we visited with the nurse practitioner who is the breastfeeding advisor at that office and here is the plan:


Daisy is a lazy feeder. She often falls asleep while eating and takes her sweet time. Well, we are not going to let this happen. We are going to keep her stimulated for up to 40 minutes while we breastfeed, then we are going to supplement with a bottle after each feeding. I am using pumped breast milk/ formula to supplement her. We are going to feed her every two hours during the day and every three at night. So basically we are constantly feeding her!

We went back for a weight check on Saturday and Daisy gained 3 oz! She is now back to 6lbs 15oz! (did I mention that in a 24 hour period we supplemented 13 oz!--this is how much she was not getting from me!!!) So the plan is to continue with the same plan until she is back to her birth weight at least...then I think we will be able to relax a little bit.

Daisy has been SO much happier! She is sleeping well and hardly ever fussy! What a change it makes when you feed your baby! Needless to say Chris and I are not getting the "Parents of the year" award this year!!!! We head back to the pediatrician's office tomorrow. Pray that we continue to gain weight!

In other strange news did you know that estrogen is passed from the mother to the baby? First through the placenta and now through breast milk. This causes some very strange things to happen--worrisome to first time parents, although I have been reassured by the doctors in the family (and our pediatrician) that this is all completely normal. Let me explain: The first week Daisy was born she had a period--yes that is right, it can and does happen. Lately she has developed serious baby acne all over her face! And the latest development---she has a nodule in her breast--almost as if she is getting breast already!!! We have been telling Daisy that she is way too young for all of this.....I wonder what happens in little boys if the mom passes estrogen to them?

Finally, not only do I not get "mother of the year" award for not feeding my baby, but I don't get the"wife of the year" award either. Yesterday was my wonderful hubby's birthday. I seriously did nothing!!!!! I felt so bad, but I haven't been able to shop or even think about it---he constantly told me that it didn't matter and he had a great day spending it at home with Daisy and I, but still. So happy birthday hubby!--(we are going to go out to eat this weekend when Uncle Stevie and Nana are in town to babysit!)

Sorry there are no pictures, we have taken a few, but I will try to upload them soon. Hope all is well with everyone else!

3 comments:

Dara Steward said...

Mindy,
You are precious! And as far as I am concerned you should win the "Mommy of the Year" award. You persisted in figuring out your Daisy! She is one of a kind and you are her only mommy. Even though it took some time, you figured it out. And for that you should be proud!

Amanda Isaacs said...

I MISS YOU GUYS!!!

Angela said...

Hi Goffs! I've seen your blog through links from Danielle and Leslie. Congratulations on your precious little girl! She is super cute! Regarding your question about estrogen and little boys . . . Rooke had little breasts for the first month. Yeah, it was pretty weird.
Angela Payne